Sunday, July 23, 2006

Lather, Rinse, Repeat

So, barring any more bicycle accidents, Peanut is scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning. We have to be at the hospital at the ungodly hour of 6:15 am, which is acceptable only because at least this way she won't be begging for breakfast for very long.

This will be the first time she'll go into surgery as a person who actually understands a little of what is going on. She was so young with the rest of them that there was no point in preparing her more than a few minutes ahead of time, and she tended to ignore us even then. Now she can talk and understand and anticipate, so we actually have to think of something to tell her. Plus, we have the nifty package from the children's hospital, containing a surgical hair covering and mask for Big Daddy to put on, and the oxygen mask for Peanut to play with, so she doesn't freak out at Daddy's face with the mask in the OR, or get scared when they put the mask on her. I'm not looking forward to it. Sometimes, parenting really sucks.

*****

Last week I didn't have much internet access because of work and because our home service was down for a few days, so I didn't get to share our big news. Our little Peanut has gained so much in the last year from Speech Therapy that she officially has been discharged from her therapist! I can't say I'm surprised, as I can't imagine that any two-year old that uses full sentences and can pronounce "rhinoceros" correctly as well as use it in a sentence qualifies for services anymore. She is testing at normal levels for pronunciation and waaay above normal for vocabulary and use. It really just blows my mind, as just a year ago she was so behind. She couldn't chew her food and she said just three words (no, up, and mo' for more- she sounded like she was Cajun). I'm so proud of her.
I have a couple of half-finished posts sitting around that I haven't had time to get up here. Plus, I am thinking of lifting my self-imposed moratorium on pictures (I was getting some really freaky searches on here--I'm not one to judge what someone gets off on but I'm not knowingly going to let my kid be a part of it). So we'll see what kind of time I have in the next couple of days. You know work has gotten bad when you look at your kid's surgery as a good thing because it means you don't have to go in to the office. But I might have some extra free time, which is good because there have been some rocking good posts by other people I want to respond to.
Excuse me, I am being requested to play the part of Baby Lady Puppy in the one-act, Hi, I'm Baby Rhinoceros, Would You Like Some Cookies?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the surgery, and CONGRATULATIONS with the speech progress! How proud and happy you must be.

I'll check in tomorrow and the next day to see the surgery news. I'm thinking of you.

Mete said...

Best of luck tomorrow. And congratulations again on the speech. That is wonderful news!