Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Bates Motel

We got to come home last night. She fell asleep on the ride home at 6:30 and stayed asleep until this morning, when she awoke screaming. A dose of Tylenol 3 and some Little Bear, and she was happy. At least until she realized she couldn't play at her toy kitchen because it hurt to bear weight on that leg (she sits on a stool in front of it, and stands up to the counter from the stool). Even then, as long as she could play with her toy vegetables in the chair and watch Wonderpets*, she dealt well.

Then, tonight, it was time for a shower and dressing change. "No, I don't need a shower!" was the refrain of the evening. She can't have a bath until the wound is scabbed over, which is interesting because it means that I have to hold her in one arm while she clings to me and screams and I use my one free hand to soap her head up. Big Daddy was able to help, but it was still very stressful on us all. He said, "Um, there's blood", and I looked down to see Psycho being recreated in my tub. The gauze under the rubbery tape covering everything had gotten wet, and so the blood it had soaked up was now rewetted and turning the water bright red.

Then, "No, I don't want my band-aid off!" during the dressing change. Her wound is closed with tape, then covered in gauze and the rubbery stuff that seemed to meld with her skin. Even working the edges up with oil made her cry piteously. She was pacified somewhat by the promise of wearing her "Princess Dress**" afterward, but it took a good while before she could calm down and believe me when I told her we were done.

We'll stop the prescription drugs during the day tomorrow and see how it goes, and hopefully she won't need them at night either. I know there are a lot of parents who deal with this and much more on a regular basis, but I don't know how they do it. It has been easier for me when I could tell myself this was going to help her walk, but I'm feeling a bit less hopeful now and I think it makes it harder to suck it up when she's miserable and do what needs to be done.

*My God, when will they merchandize that show already? I am going to have to buy TiVo just because they aren't making DVDs of it.
**The Princess Dress is the least offensive frilly pink nightgown I could find at the Disney store. I make no apologies for getting it; I think it is natural and healthy for her to explore the hyperfeminity it represents, particularly since no one she is around will reward her for it anymore than they will her wearing her black t-shirts and Chuck Taylors. After she got home with it, she put a doll dress on her Mickey Mouse and dubbed him "Princess Mickey Mouse" and "Cinderella Mickey Mouse". In her world, everybody gets to be a princess. Besides, not a one of you could have looked at her sweet little face and not gotten it for her when she asked so nicely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there honestly someone who would make you feel badly about buying her a princess dress? Bah! People.

I'm so sorry, Carrie. I hope you get a quick appointment at a good clinic that is able to find workable solutions for you, and make some of this day-to-day stuff easier.

bethee said...

I love the Princesses and actually had to allow myself to mourn the fact that we're bringing home a boy! No PINK and no princesses! :( Oh well, maybe the next one!