Thursday, February 17, 2005

Sappy, But In A Good Way

The mother of another little girl with arthrogryposis emailed me back after I emailed her. Her signature had this quote:

God said, "Yes, there is a woman I will bless with a child 'less than perfect'. She doesn't realize it yet, but she is to be envied. She will never take for granted a spoken word. She will never consider a step 'ordinary'. When her child says 'Momma' for the first time, she will be present at a miracle and know it! I will permit her to see clearly the things I see -ignorance, cruelty, prejudice - and allow her to rise above them. She will never be alone. I will be at her side every day of her life because she is doing My work."
--Unknown

I certainly don't think I am to be envied, and I would never presume to be doing the work of God despite what I may hope (I am sure God would prefer Peanut be bathed more often), but I like this thought all the same. I'd like to think I would never take these things for granted if she didn't have AMC, but I have to admit that the diagnosis would have been far more devastating if it hadn't been contrasted with not having her at all. I don't believe that God made her this way to teach me something--I just don't think that's how it works. I do believe that this is an opportunity for me to grow, and to use my big mouth on behalf of others for a change. I hope that she'll be proud of me someday.

No comments: