Saturday, October 02, 2004

Ungrateful Daughter

So I was having a bad day the other day. Peanut wasn't sleeping well at night, and that day she hadn't even napped. I had class that night and still hadn't been able to do my homework because she wasn't napping, and had stacks of dirty dishes in the kitchen and piles of laundry. I was exhausted, and also PMSy, which meant that my ability to deal with the stress was seriously compromised. My mother was coming over to watch Peanut while I was in class, and I had called and asked her to come a little early so I could finish my homework. I made this call practically in tears, with Peanut screaming in the background.

My mother is a wonderful woman, usually very kind and thoughtful. She has never been one of those mothers who tell you to get your hair out of your face or ask if you really plan to eat that second bowl of ice cream. She has never told me that I was anything other than brilliant, talented, and beautiful. I love her very much, and am lucky to have her. And you know, she was doing me a favor by coming over and watching the baby. So maybe I am being silly about what came next, but I am pretty sure I have readers who will understand.

By the time Mom got here, Peanut had fallen into an exhausted sleep, and I was just settling down for a frantic skimming of my readings, having forgotten just how much I had to do. Mom came in, took a peek in at the baby, and sat down on the couch. Then she laid down. Closed her eyes. And. Took. A. Nap.

The mothers of babies I have reading here will understand what it is like to watch someone take a nap on your couch when your baby (and therefore you) hasn't slept more than an hour straight for days. For my mother to do this, in the middle of the week when my husband was gone from Monday morning until late Friday night, with the house a shambles...well, let's just say I was not quite fully appreciative of her wonderful qualities.

I didn't say anything. I finished my homework, with enough time left to do some dishes and get cleaned up. I woke her up and told her I was leaving for class. When I got home, I had forgotten to get some stuff at the grocery store, and she ran out for me so I could stay and nurse Peanut. So I shouldn't be worked up about the nap. But I couldn't help it. I am so jealous of people who can just doze off in the evening while reading a book, it is unbelievable.

Anyway, I just had to get that out.

Peanut was difficult because she just started getting her second tooth in. She likes to sneakily grab my finger when I'm holding her and not paying attention, slowly guide it to her mouth, and then chomp down on it, making me yelp. She'll look up at me with a big grin on her face, and try it again. She's sleeping better now, and last night slept from ten p.m. until half past eight this morning. I hope for both our sakes that that continues, because she seems happier when she sleeps like that too.

No comments: