Monday, November 01, 2004

Probably Preaching To The Choir, But I Have To Get It Out

Tomorrow is Election Day. I think most of the people who read this blog on a regular basis are probably prepared to vote tomorrow if they haven't already. But just in case you aren't sure if you'll get around to it, or just in case you aren't sure who you want to vote for, I want you to think about this:

You may think that Bush did the right thing invading Iraq. You may be afraid that if you vote for Kerry he won't be as serious about fighting terrorists, and that it will put our troops in more danger. I can understand these feelings. I wasn't entirely against the war myself when the time came, because I believed Saddam was creating dangerous weapons meant to harm American interests, and I believed he would happily support others who were working to harm us too. I believed this because my President told me it was true. I may have believed there were other, more nefarious reasons as well, but never in a million years did I think that the reasons I believed would turn out to be entirely untrue, the assertions unfounded. I mean, you have to trust your President. All the women and men who enlisted trusted that they would be taken care of too.

And then the video of Bush at some function, joking about looking for WMD's came out. You remember the one, where he looks under seat cushions, laughing about not finding any? Mr. President, this is not a joke. You sent over a thousand American soldiers and countless innocent Iraqis to their deaths because you said Saddam was a danger to us. And now you joke about it? And you expect me to believe you are the one who is the most serious about "fighting terror"? Maybe you should do that routine in front of a group of military widows sometime. How can anyone put their faith in someone like that? John Kerry may be a lot of things, but he is not someone who finds the cause of our invasion being a mistake a joke.

I will vote for Kerry for many reasons. I am pro-choice, I feel strongly about the state of our environment, and I believe that good people sometimes need a little help from social services. But the number one reason I am voting for John Kerry is because he is serious about keeping my life, as well as the lives of our soldiers and of innocent people in other countries, safe. George Bush is concerned with keeping his pride, his tough guy image, intact. Vote for someone who can actually lead us, instead of telling us, "you'd better support me or the terrorists will get you". Vote tomorrow, and vote for John Kerry. It's important.

No comments: