Thursday, January 27, 2005

Where I'm Still Not At All Funny

So I feel like I bombed on Ed Sullivan.

As I said earlier, I had no idea two measly posts on the behemoth that is Dooce would generate the kind of traffic it did. For about twelve hours, it was like I got to ride along in J.Lo's limo, pretending all the screaming was about me. I got more page hits in one afternoon than I usually do in two weeks. It was my big break. And what did I write about? The saddest day of my life, as well as a typical self-righteous rant (which, I guess, is what my comment post had been, but still). Not even a cute baby picture up to mitigate the woe.

What makes it worse is that I have apparently been offending my loved ones left and right in my actual life, so the idea of me lecturing others on the proper things to say is probably highly amusing to them. My varying attempts at humor apparently don't translate as well when you actually know me. You lucky readers can at least just click the page closed when you get sick of me. I suppose my friends could do that too, metaphorically speaking, but I'm hoping I'm cute enough to forgive. I certainly didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.

Anyway, I should have posted a new hilarious story of some kind, or at least a greatest hits collection (are there any?). For now, I am posting the cached link to the missing Finslippy post. Somebody said awful stuff about her as a mother because of this post and implied something about molestation on another site, and she went off the deep end. How anybody could have an issue with this story is beyond me (other than her son when he's a teenager, but that's a long time from now)--it makes me wonder about people who dream up those sorts of scenarios as a "warning". I thought it was one of the funniest things I've ever read. My funny will never be able to compete. And if anyone decides to write to her and say anything bad about this post, I swear I will hunt you down and make you read every single one of my archived posts over and over and over again.

Making Light has an interesting post on trolls and blogs, which may be of interest to, well, most of the people who read my blog, since we've been talking about that sort of thing.

I have had an entirely unfunny day, so here's hoping that tomorrow is endlessly entertaining. Or at least that I can write about it that way. If not, I'll see if I can find some more cute baby pictures.

No comments: